Followers

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Koran burning

This is a comment I had made on the blog "Strata-Sphere.com. It captures my feelings on this subject well.

I agree in that these guys should not burn the Koran. However, we all seem to agree that they have the right to. Kind of like building the Mosque at ground zero.

What I find interesting is the potential reaction to a burning of the Koran. Have a burn the Bible day in some Muslim country. Would we see the same reaction, as we will if these guys go ahead with burning the Koran? Vocal protest only? I think not for at least one important reason.

Maybe this is just me, but I believe that each Koran is actually considered something to be physically defended, like land. ‘Occupied’ Muslim land has historically been physically defended and is constantly being brought up. Defending each Mosque appears to be similar. Note the sensitivity to violation of a Mosque? I wonder what would happen if the ground zero mosque was built and subsequently ‘occupied’ by our police or military because of some major crisis.

Remember how simply the idea of flushing a Koran down the toilet ‘insulted’ so many Muslims? Islam is seen as a form of governance. It was designed with the power and authority of a modern nation-state. This concept is alive and well today. The burning of a Koran is even more delicate than burning the Constitution, because the Koran combines the Bible and the US Constitution in ideology. This is another root cause of the violence and warfare that is so common throughout the Islamic world.

No comments:

Post a Comment